Every family needs an Emergency preparedness plan.
Disasters strike in every corner of the world, during every season, and on different scales throughout the year.
Related Post: Top 50 Bug-Out Bag List Essentials
These events are often unexpected by their very nature, leaving little time, if any, to prepare.
That is why it is so important to put time into planning and preparation long before the disaster strikes.
But first what is emergency preparedness?
What Is Emergency Preparedness
Emergency or disaster preparedness refers to the preventive measures taken to reduce the severity of a disaster’s effects.
The goal of disaster preparedness plan is to lessen the impact of disasters on you and your family, to design a coordinated plan that reduces the waste of resources, time, and efforts.
An emergency preparedness plan has the potential protect your family during a disaster, and it aims to return your livelyhood to normalcy as quickly as possible.
How Do You Prepare For An Emergency
Every family should create an emergency preparedness plan that prepares you all in the event of disasters.
Though it may seem difficult or time-consuming to plan for the unexpected, this seeming inconvenience is far better than finding your family in a disaster situation, rendered incapable of helping and serving them.
This list is by no means exhaustive, but it includes a few important considerations for disaster planning.
Emergency Preparedness Plan
Put together a plan by discussing these 4 questions with your family, friends, or household to start your emergency plan.
- How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- What is my shelter plan?
- What is my evacuationroute?
- What is my family/household communication plan?
Consider the specific needs in your household.
As you prepare your plan tailor your plans and supplies to your specific daily living needs and responsibilities.
Discuss your needs and responsibilities and how people in the network can assist each other with communication, care of children, business, pets, or specific needs like the operation of durable medical equipment.
Create your own personal network for specific areas where you need assistance.
Keep in mind some these factors when developing your plan:
- Different ages of members within your household
- Responsibilities for assisting others
- Locations frequented
- Dietary needs
- Medical needs including prescriptions and equipment
- Disabilities or access and functional needs including devices and equipment
- Languages spoken
- Cultural and religious considerations
- Pets or service animals
- Households with school-aged children
Fill out an Emergency Preparedness Checklist
Download and fill out an Emergency Preparedness Checklist or use them as a guide to create your own.
Practice your plan with your family/household
- EmergencyPreparedness Checklist (PDF)
- Winter Car Survival Kit Checklist (PDF)
- Bug Out Bag Checklist (PDF)
- First Aid Kit Checklist (PDF)
- Emergency Binder Checklist (PDF)
- OTC Medicines Checklist (PDF)
- 72-Hour Emergency Kit Checklist (PDF)
- Get Home Bag Checklist (PDF)
- Urban Bug Out Checklist (PDF)
- Wilderness First Aid Kit Checklist (PDF)
- Hurricane Supplies Checklist (PDF)
When any disaster strikes, whether it be a hurricane, flood, domestic terrorism, tornado, or fire, the situation has the potential to create chaos and confusion.
Effective disaster preparedness helps alleviate some of the chaos wrought by the unexpected crisis.
If you follow your disaster plan, it is possible for you and your family to be able not only thrive during the crisis but to get back to normal life as quickly as possible.
If you think this content can help other families get better prepared and organized in case of a disaster feel free to share it.